Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How many devices has the iPhone replaced?




V/S








While I have a bias towards iPhone, I also want to refer this post to most of the smart phones available in the market today. I have tried using some of the latest smart phones, the iPhone has always attracted me back, hence forcing me to abandon the others. But with all due respect, this post refers to not just the iPhone but other smart phones also.


Radio - With apps like Pandora, a standalone Radio device is a thing of the past.


Portable DVD player / MP3 players - The size of local storage provided enable the iPod to replace these forever


Digital Cameras (low end) - The 3.0 megapixel and tap to select focus makes the iPhone a great replacement. The ability to instantly share on Facebook or email to friends makes it even better than a low end digital camera. The iOS 5 is going to make the experience even better.


Low-end camcoders - Build-in video recoder make the iPhone far more practical and easy to use. Sharing on youtube is very simple now.

Stand alone voice recorder - I don't think I need to say anything on this


Landline Phone - VoIP apps further make this a more interesting, low cost and easy replacement


GPS Devices - While the iPhone GPS is still not as good as a standalone Garmin, knowing that the Android has mastered it and there are apps which do it well, I won't be surprised if Apple lauches a fully functional native GPS/ Navigation app. But for now Maps along with other apps on the app store will suffice to replace many, if not all, of the GPS devices.


Compass - Hmm...don't think any of us will ever carry a compass ever again.


Gaming devices - Hail App store! there is a plethora, to say the least, of games of all kinds for users of all ages, interests and skill levels


Calculators - I don't think I will every carry a calculator again


I have kept this limited to the devices and not got into simpler replacements like old pen and paper (replaced by Notes, To-Dos), calendars, alarm clocks - to name a few. Arguably many of these were replaced by the earlier phones.
I am very sure this list is not exhaustive but a good point to start thinking what will be next!

The iPad along with Netflix as already started displacing the TV and DVD player - but for these the size does matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment